Monday, December 14, 2009

Hello World!

What are your mental images associated with the word 'prayer'? Well, regardless of your faith, or lack thereof, I would be willing wager one mental image would consist of some Joe/Josephine Blow trying to communicate with some higher being. As a follower of Jesus Christ born and raised in North America, my experience with prayer consists of the standard bowing of one's head, lacing up of one's fingers, and having a conversation with God.

However, early in my Christian walk, I discovered that my mind would wonder during prayer. I might be praying for a friend and then suddenly start thinking about whether anyone has commented on my latest and greatest Facebook status update. Over time, I quickly learned that I enjoyed writing my prayers out in the form of letters to God because this forced me to sit down and concentrate on stringing words together into coherent sentences like pretty beads on a necklace. My tools of the trade? A standard 80 page spiral notebook and Bic pens of all shapes and colours. Since my becoming a Christian eight years ago, I have compiled about 50 of such prayer books, each starting off with the date, time, and location I started writing. Recording my prayers is a good habit for me, because it allows me to review what I've prayed about over the years and see how God has answered (or not answered) those prayers. Furthermore, I get quite a kick seeing how my values and beliefs have changed over time!

This will no doubt hurt my chances of winning a Nobel Peace Prize in my later years, but I must admit that a somewhat large portion of my prayers do not involve ending world hunger or the negotiation of a truly successful peace treaty between Israel and Palestine, but rather which pretty Christian girls I happen to be attracted to at the time of writing. Furthermore, because I've been fortunate enough to successfully convince a not insignificant number of said girls to go hang out with me, I've also used my prayer books to record my pre- and post-date analyses. Over the years, I've collected an array of such stories and listed what went right, what went wrong, and what went horrendously wrong, and how these experiences have molded my relationship with Jesus Christ.

The purpose of this blog isn't to bad mouth the girls I have gone out with, but rather to share some humorous, frightening, or just plain weird events that have happened to me in my navigation of the choppy waters of romantic relationships as a Christian guy. It is my hope that this blog will enlighten readers, if any, and help them realize that the crazy crap that happens in their lives is not unique to them...or at the very least, provide some cheap laughs before they go back to deciding which YouTube video to watch next. Please come and enjoy this trip down memory lane with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment